Call in to defend the ACA Repeal: URGENT
MILLIONS of Americans will DIE
Ten minutes of your time on a phone WILL save millions of lives. Your American and Humanitarian Voice needs to be heard by those who represent you in Washington.
Summary, Senates plan, Implications, Process used to repeal the ACA, how MILLIONS will be affected by the ACA Repeal and what you can do.
Forward and share.
- Affordable Care Act (ACA, aka Obamacare) is being targeted for repeal by the GOP.
It looks like:
the plan is to gut it
without any kind of replacement. So we need to be calling all MoC, Senate and House, to protest this scheme.
Trump administration signals full support for dismantling ACA.
So it’s imperative to continue flooding the phone lines. I would also add the WH to the list of calls to make.
Last update: 20 Jan 2017
HOW IT WORKS
The Senate vote in the early morning hours of January 12th was only procedural. But the vote that matters is coming. Here’s how the sequence to repeal ACA works:
☑️ Senate passes budget (Jan 12 2017)
☑️House passes budget (Jan 13 2017)
? House drafts repeal bill
? House votes
? Back to Senate (for reconciliation)
We have opportunities to derail wholesale repeal of the ACA in January through the means of budget reconciliation
(which requires only a simple majority vote). If we defeat this, then Congress has to go after pieces of the ACA, with supermajority votes, IE picking up at least 8 Democrat votes. So the
fight this month is critical.
To contact your House and Senate MoC:
Use the Congressional switchboard. The number is: 202-224-3121. You’ll be prompted as follows:
– Press 1 to contact your Senators, 2 to contact your Representative (in the House)
– Enter your 5-digit Zip code (or speak your state name in the case of Senators)
– For your Representative, only 1 choice will be offered – press 1.
– For your Senators, select 1 or 2 to be connected to whichever one you want to contact. (If you’re trying to communicate your opinion about a vote, you’ll probably want to call back and select the other as well.)
Does it have to be a phone call? YES.
Emails are easily ignored; staffers can simply shove thousands of them into an extra inbox in seconds and be done with it. Talking with them on the phone ties up their time, and everyone notices, all the way up to the MoC who employs them.
Physical, written letters are also pretty good, but the ACA repeal process here has a pretty tight timeline, so keep that in mind.
To contact White House:
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500
Visitors Office: 202-456-2121
We need to call House representatives immediately in regards to the House bill on repealing the ACA.
We need to call Senators to make sure they do not vote for a reconciled bill when it comes back from the House.
In either case, we need to make it clear we want them to vote against repealing the ACA.
Please be POLITE & very clear about what you want; write it down beforehand if it will help you be composed & quick, or if you think you might forget what you want to say while you are on hold 🙂
Here’s a quick call script if you want to use it:
The following five GOP Senators are Against the current dismantling of the ACA (reported earlier in my blog entry)–these five Senators are critical in our efforts to slow down the complete dismantling of the ACA:
Paul Ryan, Speaker of the House, has blocked office phones, fax numbers, and is dodging petition deliveries, etc, there’s one thing left to do.
If we can’t contact him by phone at (202) 225-3031, or in the number above in the image, then we can mail POSTCARDS to his home address saying NO to defunding Planned Parenthood, NO to repealing the ACA, and NO to privatizing Medicare!
700 ST. LAWRENCE AVE.
JANESVILLE, WI 53545
And I’d add a SHAME ON YOU FOR TURNING OFF YOUR PHONES! to it.
I found a few more addresses. Send postcards to them all!
Washington, DC office
1233 Longworth HOB
Washington, D.C. 20515
Phone: (202) 225-3031
Fax: (202) 225-3393
20 South Main Street, Suite 10
Janesville, WI 53545
Toll-Free: 1-888-909-RYAN (7926)
Phone: (608) 752-4050
Fax: (608) 752-4711
5031 7th Avenue
Kenosha, WI 53140
Phone: (262) 654-1901
Fax: (262) 654-2156
216 6th Street
Racine, WI 53403
Phone: (262) 637-0510
Fax: (262) 637-5689
Postcards, ppl! Let’s bury the Speaker of the House in POSTCARDS!
Please feel free to forward & share this post.
Repealing ACA means:
* Small businesses, farms, self-employed (20% of exchange coverage, several million)
127 million Americans with pre-existing conditions
* Seniors — medicare beneficiaries have saved $2000/year on rx drugs from ACA
* 55-64 year olds who will see rates increase dramatically, even if healthy by up to 10x
* Estimated 30 million with individual policies/Medicaid will lose them
* 2.8 million Americans with drug disorders will lose coverage
* 1.25 million with mental health disorders will lose coverage
* Vets: the 42% reduction in uninsured rate will be reversed
Employer based coverage– 1/2 had lifetime caps before ACA
(do NOT have a premature baby!)
* Bad debt will go up by $1.1 trillion. Health care bills will again lead in c ause of personal bankruptcy
Medicare Trust Fund, which was extended a decade, will have several years reduced
from its expected life
* Taxpayers will lose $350 billion added to deficit, 9 trillion added to debt (but incomes > $1 million will see a TAX BREAK of $57K)
* 2.6 million lost jobs (health care service and construction jobs in small communities)
* Families who will have a baby
* Anyone who likes free preventive services like mammograms better than cancer treatment
* Young adults (31 million on parents’ plan). 18-26 YO in most states will be kicked off
* Anyone who loses their job and think COBRA is too expensive with limited options
* Women who want to buy health insurance will pay more than men in premiums
105 million had lifetime limits on what insurance companies pay
There are a few clear winners…
* Insurance companies will no longer have to devote at least 80% of premiums to medical claims
* Debt collectors will have more business
* BIG tax break to high earners
Source of list: <https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/819972320265728000>
Sources verifying each of these points: <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZUPSah8kNxn8Gp1f2OgYxswpUdilsrvQ2LgqrvdXg6E/>
You can also find more information here:
and doubtless many other sites.
WE ARE NOT ALONE IN PUSHING BACK!
Jan 20 2017 Trump executive order:
Jan 15 2017 Healthcare is not a political football: <https://www.laprogressive.com/healthcare-political-football/>
Jan 14 2017 Rep. Mike Coffman (R-CO) escaped out the back door of his own event before it was over to avoid the angry crowd. <https://thinkprogress.org/republican-congressman-sneaks-away-from-constituents-demanding-health-care-answers-e55e0593244e#.q2t4ol8ra>
Jan 13 2017 Staffers upset at all calls (GOOD!!) <https://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/1/13/1620094/-Time-to-turn-up-the-heat-Senate-staffers-are-complaining-about-the-avalanche-of-angry-calls>
Jan 13 2017 House passes budget resolution. <http://www.teenvogue.com/story/the-house-passed-a-budget-resolution-to-begin-dismantling-obamacare>
Jan 12 2017 Senate passes budget resolution. <http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/11/politics/senate-obamacare-repeal/index.html>
Trump and Senate Move Quickly to Repeal Affordable Care Act – The New York Times; nytimes.com
Attribution: Cindy Brown